Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Popular Culture

arctic monkey
Despite my advancing years I do make attempts to stay tuned into popular culture. It was thus with interest that I read of the phenomenon of the Arctic Monkeys, a popular electric beat group, that is selling more records than the Beatles. I duly forked out for their album (I bought a CD as it wasn't available at the iTunes store) and gave it a spin. Well I have to say that I don't really understand the hype. They sound like a well-produced indie band but are certainly not up there with Jagger-Richards or Lennon-McCartney. Some songs are quite catchy,though, and I quite like the ditty, Fake Tales from San Francisco. I'll give them a 6.5 out of 10: at least they are better than that droning, sanctimonious, bunch of mingers, U2. From now on I'm going to stick to stick to Corelli, Coltane and Cesaria Evora.

No comments: