Sunday, May 29, 2005

That Bloody Frog

crazy-frog-1-1024x768

In my mostly rather vain attempts to keep up with popular culture in the UK I’ve encountered numerous references to the “crazy frog” ringtone available for mobile phones. So yesterday, in a moment of idle curiosity, I Googled the damn thing.

I wish I hadn’t bothered. It’s the most egregious, annoying, piece of audiophonic excrescence I’ve ever heard. No wonder the lunatic asylums are full. I can just imagine that f***ing thing going off in a hot and crowded railway carriage. That sound would be enough to turn any poor sod who’s had a bad day into a homicidal maniac. Indeed it wouldn’t surprise me if it became a legal defence for inducing temporary insanity. If I had my way I’d re-introduce impaling and spit roasting as punishment for anyone installing it on their phone.

I noticed the company responsible for distributing the tone (no, I’m not going to encourage you and provide the URL) apparently makes it available in the USA. Heaven preserve us, America has enough to worry about right now without that bloody thing going off in every public space…!

P.S. Having just published this post, I note that John B at Shot by Both Sides has a like-minded view.

No comments: