Friday, December 31, 2004

An Act of Optimism


Tina and Mel
Originally uploaded by wjwmorrow.
I eventually escaped from a cold rainy UK and flew from Heathrow to sunny San Diego, California instead of travelling back directly to Seattle. The purpose of this diversion was to attend the wedding of my old friend Mel Muzio.

I met Mel in 1992 when I was looking for someone to restore my E type Jag (THAT will be the topic of another post). After auditioning quite a few workshops I came across Mel in San Marcos. We immediately hit it off and I recognized him as a kindred spirit and fellow petrol head. Most of all it was apprent that he was totally honest and clearly knew his stuff.

Over the next few years we became firm friends. In the late 1990s the spectre of marital difficulties appeared and Mel underwent a painful and acrimonious divorce: a process that lasted more than three years. But every cloud has a silver lining. Sometime into his separation Mel met Tina, a delightful lady who, like himself originally hailed from England. I watched the romance blossom and wasn't in the least bit surprised when Mel announced, after his divorce was eventually finalized, that he and Tina were going to get remarried.

So on a lovely December Saturday afternnon that he and Tina tied the knot. The service was held at the poolside of their mountain top retreat by a female minister who reminded me of "The Vicar of Dibley" (I don't know why as she bore no physical resemblance to Dawn French -maybe it was her mannerisms?!). Mel and Tina were both very emotional and I have to say appear very well suited. Both said to me privately "this is it!" (meaning for life) and I have no doubts they will succeed. In any case I wish them the best of luck for the future. Mel's son Chris, who was best man, summed things up succinctly (if not exactly diplomatically) in his speech when he announced "She's a lot better than the last one...!" I formally second this motion.

After the wedding I dragged my suitcase full of dirty clothes back to Seattle where it was raining. I was charged $25 for excess baggage (the Tesco Chrismas Pudding I acquired in England tipped the balance) and I'd devloped a cold. Back to reality with a vengeance!

Peace!

No comments: